Comment on this post if you want to participate. I'll choose seven (or at least some) userpics from your profile and you'll reply here, explaining what they mean and why you're using them. If you wish, post this along with your answers in your own journal so others can play along.
And here are my own icons that she asked about, and my explanations:
- One of five userpics I made at once from Final Fantasy: Advent Children. I used a screenshot program to grab some shots I liked, and made icons from them, some with words and some without. This is one of Sephiroth without words - I just liked the image of him staring down his long-assed sword menacingly. This is one icon I tend to use when I'm annoyed about something and would like to start stabbing, because of the weapon and the attitude.
- My most recent userpic. It's a screenshot I grabbed of my favorite character (Gwendal) from one of my current favorite anime series, Kyo Kara Maoh. I was looking for something with a book to use in book-related posts, and I'd wanted something from that series, so this was close enough, for now. Given what I was making the icon for, and the character I was using, the words seemed... appropriate. (And of course just shortly after making this icon, the announcement came that Geneon, who puts out the anime in the U.S., is closing its doors as far as anime goes, so the fate of that series is up in the air damnit!)
- This... is actually an icon I should probably just delete, but I have a ton of userpic spaces left and I hate throwing one away after I've made use of it, so... when I remade this one for clarity, I left the old version (this one) behind and renamed it slightly. Anyhow, the idea just came to me for some reason, and I ran with it. The quote is a fairly well-known one from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, said by Death, and the screenshot is actually of Tim Curry playing the role of the butler in Clue, so it was... appropriate. This is one of my icons that I actually didn't take the underlying screenshot myself, but found a suitable picture on the web. This icon (or rather, now its updated version) is used for most of my talking about the Discworld, and very occasionally elsewhere.
- Ahaahaha, I saw this image in the volume of the manga Saiyuki that I was reading at the time, and had to run with it. I actually couldn't get a clear enough scan of it though with my own scanner, so desdenova, who is also a Saiyuki fan and had the volume in question, did a better version for me. The character is Ni Jianyi, and is a twisted mad scientist type. Really twisted. I usually use this icon when I'm making some off-color comment or post, so it sees a decent amount of use (although not as much as I expected, really).
- While I was grabbing the aforementioned screens from Advent Children, I decided I wanted to grab one of Orlando Bloom... er, I mean, Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean as well. This seemed like a nice shot, although a bit darker than I'd like, despite my lightening it up a bit in photoshop. The quote just came to me, so I added it. It seemed fitting. Because of the quote, I tend to use the pic for congratulatory or encouraging posts.
- This is a shot I grabbed of my Final Fantasy XI character (an online MMORPG for those not playing along at home). I haven't played in ages, but I actually do intend to jump back on in readiness for the expansion that comes out next month, that has some stuff I'd like to try. My character's first and main job, as seen in the pic, is that of Red Mage. It's not a wonderful shot, and I tend to use it only for talking about MMORPGs and the like. At the time I used it more for general fantasy, and especially video games, but I've created enough other related user icons since this one, that its own use has become a lot more narrow.